Friday, August 15, 2008

Time Out

Thursday after the meeting broke I intended to go for bike ride or stop over at the fitness center. I needed to let lunch digest a bit and felt a bit tired so went to the condo for respite. I never left.

This what I tried to write about yesterday and reminding myself I am not invincible. I am not even ordinary still. I was physically and neuro-muscularly whipped. I am not a napper but I tried.

The run I had earlier in the day Thursday was great. Ran out on a well paved asphalt trail that led to an overlook. That connected to a crushed gravel trail which turned into a dirt trail that led down a steep hill. Eventually it petered out and I was stuck. I didn't want to turn around, that would be boring so I tore off down a game trail until that too eventually played out.

Time to start bushwhacking. I bushwhacked, while jogging, another ten minutes or so and came across an overgrown back road, most likely used when the lodge area was being constructed. The growth was high but there was no trees on it so I picked up my pace and pushed aside branches as I went.

Finally I came to a clearing which abutted several mounds of short dead grass about forty feet high. That was really weird. I decided I would reach the top and I could get my bearings. When I reached the top I looked down directly onto a golf green and about fifty yards away a cart path.

Saved. From there it only took ten minutes to work my way to the main road and back to the lodge. It was exactly what I needed, an adventurous run in the woods. You can't get that in the Sonoran Desert.

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger The Big Cheese said...

If that were me. I would start to freak out, cry and have to use one of my socks for...you know what. But the running through the brush? I don't like to run if there are water puddles on the ground.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

sounds like an awesome run!! Good job listening to you body. Keep up the great work!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home