Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reminders

My life seems a constant reminder of things to not do. I have affirmations and prayers that I use to create a vision for my life the way I want it to be, but the rest of the day seems to be a liteny of thoughts telling myself, "too fast, be patient, your not cleared yet" and so forth.
I am heading out right how and going to push my HR a little bit on a short 30 minute run and perhaps a bit on a mountain bike later in the day. Nothing extreme, like say, oh 165 bmp. But nevertheless.
When I have thoughts like this I think, "Just push it a little. Don't get emotional about it and start charging up hills, its a treat to run in the woods at sunrise, not a punishment."
I had no clue that one year after not finishing Arizona that I would not finish again. I certainly had no clue what was going on with my body to that extreme, what I had been doing to it. But it showed me that, its always still there inside of me. It can lie mostly dormant for a year or years and then when I need it the least, a race, my system shuts down and I need a gallon of IV fluid.
But I apprecaite the object lesson. The whole year between those races I trained without a clue to the damage inside me. Blaming it on a virus and not realizing that I was burning my kidneys up from the inside, not only with my training but with my nutrition.
So with every workout that leads to my recovery I remind myself that I have to stay in control of every workout. I have to be adult, or mature, or wise about the choices I make when I see a short climb or pancake flat with with some prize at the end. And with that, the trees await.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger dpc said...

Comm,

I just turned 47 back on the 4th. Today, the confrontation, relative to 20 years ago, with my age and weight have me staring down limitations on a daily basis that I never really imagined. Driving a desk, and career development in the last 15 years have really taken their toll. My mind knows the speed and fitness I once had, but my body always seems to have something else to say about that these days.

You are spot on..everyday I have to remind myself I must be mature, wise and patient with who and where I am today and know that the "prize" is what I have today, not what I had yesterday.

Afraid I have the treadmill today; no trees for me. Hope they were good! Thanks for your comments! dc

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

take care of yourself buddy. there's only one of you!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger J~Mom said...

Sounds very wise Comm.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

mmmmm....pancake flats....

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Changing mindsets is tough, no question. But the reward is indescribably huge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home