Friday, December 25, 2009

Hike: Flatiron

On Christmas Eve, myself and several of my AZTRICLUB team mates decided to meet up and hike in Lost Dutchman State Park. Specifically we hiked first to Siphon Draw and then as some turned back, four of us continued, literally up the trail, to Flatiron. This is rated as the hardest hike inside the Valley of the Sun. This is not the first time I have done this hike, but in most regards this was a new hike for me as I am finally getting into better shape as I transition from recovery to base training.

The hike started just before sunrise and two degrees above freezing. Yikes. We also knew that travel of the sun and location of our hike would keep us in shadow for many hours. Zipped up, shivering but in good spirits we marched out on the frost covered trail.

It was a relatively quick 55 minutes to the seasonal waterfall marking the end of Siphon Draw trail. There was some water flowing and those that playfully stomped in the thin pools, were scrambling to purchase footing on what is called slick rock for a reason. After a quick, too cold and chilly break, we parted ways with our team mates and smeared a 100 yard 40 degree face that bring many people to lung chewing heaves of breath.

The distance from Siphon Draw to the top of the Superstition Mountains, called Flatiron, is roughly a mile. I have the exact distance in my GPS but its somewhere across the room and my knee is currently bathed in a ice wrap. So forgive my lack of enthusiasm for movement. However far the distance, its the vertical nature that begs the question, "Why are we doing this?"

This part of the hike is a solid Class 2 climb, I'd call it 2.8 if I could. Except for the lack of exposure that would seriously injure there is much use of the hands to continue forward, or perhaps more specifically, upward movement. The jovial nature of our banter certainly helped pass the time and before we knew it, we were on the top in a total time of 1:55. A very respectable time.

Of the four of us in the party, only I had climbed the entire route recently. One had climbed it years ago. One climbed most of it recently but turned back due to time constraints. One had never been. I had warned that time loses track at the top and we should not stay long. Forty minutes blew by in a flash and the though the sun was finally on us, the wind was terrible and we moved back down.

It is a Christmas miracle that I personally did not fall or suffer injury. I willingly admit I am good for one good fall per hike. However it was two others who slipped on frosty rocks and bruised their tailbones. I certainly turned an ankle here and there and looked a fool to absorb rapid movement in painful directions and as earlier stated am dealing with a painful knee ten hours later. In all a great hike and with great company. My hydration was excellent and nutrition on target.

It is not enough to exist. I am going to live.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger Spandex King said...

Two degrees above freezing, haha That must be an Arizona term. We call that a heat wave out here. Merry Christmas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home