Thursday, April 17, 2008

Let the healing begin

Don't expect puppy dogs and butterflies from me. I am in my office today, yes, less than three days after being diagnosed with kidney and liver failure. Bolder couldn't stop from laughing as I called on the way in but I did promise just sitting at my desk and answering emails and deadlines.

I was told I have a medical condition called Rhabdomyolysis caused by excessive exercise exertion. It rapidly releases protein enzymes from my muscles into my bloodstream and this is what causes my kidneys and liver to stop functioning. Based on my medical history this most likely began from my heat stroke I had in the early 90's, which I have mentioned before, and perpetuated by each case of heat injury and high fever I have had since then that has put a strain on my kidneys.

The damage is done and my body can not recover from the stress placed on it when competing, right now, at Ironman distance. Much like with skin cancer, it never goes away you just manage your protection from the sun, because its easier to get the more you subject yourself to it. In my situation I have to find a place that my body can handle the volume and load of of triathlon training and keep my kidneys working. I think for the next year that level will not exceed Olympic / half marathon distance though I am hoping to eventually train hard for half ironman level.

There definitely needs to be some changes in my training, the more I strain my kidneys the worse they will get (gee might as well substitute concussions for kidneys). I have put together weekends with 80 mile rides and 15 mile runs without fail during my IM build ups but something doesn't click during the actual race. One theory I heard is that my pre-race adrenaline the week of an IM race already expresses this enzyme into my bloodstream, thereby lowering the tolerance level I enjoy during a typical training week.

I already have a plan in motion. First I need to get a post hospital check up next week and then find a metabolist to work with on the actual condition and a plan of attack for future training levels. I have a sprint in two weeks, need to be ready ;)

Labels:

21 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

interesting. i recommend bubble baths and bon-bons.

but that might only work for me.

take care of yourself, comm. there's only one of you. there's a million, gazillion races... but there's only one of you.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger J~Mom said...

Excellent plan! Keep resting in the mean time!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

You ARE ready - go have fun at your sprint. Let your competitive spirit be replaced by gratitude for your recovery and just enjoy the day!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

ps - I think Bold calls that sub-fun or something. Not that I understand sub-fun but I do understand way fun so have way fun - yay!

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Just for the record, I recommend against the sprint. Too soon, too hot.

Just a thought - horses get a condition called exertional rhabdomyolysis too (which I know a bit about - don't know so much about it in humans). Part of the problem in events may be the taper - overloading glycogen in the muscles that normally you burn off in your regular workouts.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

need to be ready...

FOR ME TO COME TO TEMPE AND SMACK YOU

... if you do that sprint.

only when Mistress is done smacking you first, of course.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

Take a year off. Get fat. Get happy. Get well. Play golf. Miss it. Heal. Oh yea, did I say take a year off? Don't make the Bigun execute an intervention.....

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're teasing us about that sprint, right????

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I've read about rhabdomyolysis before. It happens to ultramarathoners sometimes. It's scary stuff and not to be messed with.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger LBTEPA said...

Does Mistress know you are planning to do this sprint? Be afraid, mate, be very afraid.... and take care ((hugs))

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Lauren Starks said...

i'm really glad i'm way over here on the east coast for this type of fallout...

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Tea said...

I'm glad you're doing better. The only kind of sprinting you'd better be doing is from the couch to the fridge for a beer.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear you are doing better and out of the hospital. I have been reading the posts over the past few days. I was in AZ this past weekend and was hoping to meet up with Bolder, but other plans got in the way.

Take care of yourself!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Holly Jane said...

So happy to hear you are doing better! Please take it easy and listen to your dr's and trainers.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I'm glad you have a diagnosis so you can manage this correctly.

LISTEN to your doctors! And sprint, my goodness, you better not!

Take care of yourself.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Rhabdomyolysis may be the least of your worries when Mistress catches wind of you wanting to do a sprint in 2 weeks. You better relax for a while! I'm with Bigun...take a year off. Let you body heal.

So glad you are out of the hospital and doing better. You are a sight...I have this visual of you dragging your IV pole around the nurses station 30+ times. LOL

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Danny said...

Try to behave yourself and listen to the wife and doctors!!!
Glad to hear to are feeling better.
It was hotter than $#&@ on that course....
Take your time and BE SAFE !!

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Jumper 2.0 said...

Commenters, I think he's joking about the sprint. If not we have the wife and Boulder that will take care of him. Which would probably be worse than any case of rhabdomylosis. :-)

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Comm,
So glad to hear that you are home. Take it easy man. Think of your wife and your little boy when you want to hurry up the process. No race is worth it, but with that said your perserverance is amazing and that is always what I have liked about your spirt. So, be careful, listen to the wife and the docs (in that order) and get well soon. Don't push it.

Still praying for you,
Melissa

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

You're changing my initial belief about Ironman. I have heard so many stories about so many people who have overcome their lives and their obstacles to do an event like this - so I have formed a belief:

anyone who wants to do an ironman can do one.

I have to add an addendum now:

sometimes, shit happens

because it's clear to me that it does. Thank you for sharing about this condition - it does help me to understand it all.

On a side note, would it be possible for you to train for an event in a colder climate? Say, Ironman UK (it's a 70.3), or similar? Or are all your regulatory systems suspect now?

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Damn, Comm's.

I'm just catching up. I saw Mistress' initial post about you being in the hospital, but I've been out of town since.

Best wishes on a safe, steady, recovery and a sane, rational look at where to go from here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home