Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Self Guilt to Success

Dear Me,

I feel like I let myself down last week. I didn't miss any one scheduled workout but I didn't complete all of them either. Of 15 hours of training I came up short by 2 hours. The majority of that coming from the absolute frustration of running on a treadmill for 12 miles.

I simply could not bring myself to finish it. I couldn't. I tried. I got on the machine with all my fuel and water and towels. I ran for a while, more than most people do in a week of training but mentally I didn't have a long run in me after the week I had.

My closest adviser having a stroke. My friend possibly dead, an unknown cyclist in her neighborhood crushed by a semi truck and no answer from her phones. Some crucial conversations with employees. It took too much out of me.

I let myself down. I'm sorry. I take myself way to seriously. I put high expectations on my employees to memorize scripts and follow through with the instructions of my production partners. How can I expect excellent execution of our company systems from them when I can't follow through 100% with my own training programs?

I can't promise myself that I won't become weak during a practice. I can't promise myself that in a moment of crisis or weakness that I will skip a workout. I can only rely on my Heart, my Determination, my Perseverance to succeed.

I want to do well so badly. I want to redeem myself at Ironman Arizona next year. I have put so much effort into my fitness and nutrition and balance with my family that momentarily lapses of conviction punctuate my weakness.

I am sorry for myself. Not in the way that I am a mopey sad sack and need a kick in my ass. I am sorry for myself in that I know I can do better and yet I let myself down.

Have Fun but do better. You deserve the best.

6 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Dances with Corgis said...

Aww Comm... I lost a best friend last week as well.

***hugs***

Take it easy, you will get back at it. Court

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger The Big Cheese said...

When you fill anothers bucket you fill our own. Here is a ladel for you pal.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

Hey - life happens. The only thing worse than missing a couple of hours of workout is missing the opportunity to participate fully in the rest of your life. You've got to strike a balance.

One worse thing - beating yourself up like that. Training is to be celebrated. If you miss a workout you just vow not to miss the next one and move on.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

Dear Comm,

Thanks for the note, but let me tell you this, if you ever schedule a 12 mile or more run on the treadmill again, I'll kick your ass!

Sincerely,

Me

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Dear You:

Nonetheless, so far so good. Back at it tomorrow, looking to be better yet. 'Cause that's how you roll - and encourage others to be better too.

Sincerely,

Me

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Comm's,

You completed a little more than 86% of your goal. As grades go, not an A+ but a solid A.

Room for improvement, sure. But still good!

Yours truly,

Me

 

Post a Comment

<< Home