Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What done so soon?

Its Valentines night, what are you doing reading blogs? heh heh, just a little bedroom humor there.

Well its confession time and for long time readers it will be quite humorous in the end. I ended up with an extra hour in my day and decided I would try to cook dinner tonight. Its not a capitulation on a Valentines gift, it was just linguine and canned sauce. But a big step for me nevertheless.

See for those of you who don't know, I can't cook. At all. I have burned down two kitchens and smoked out a few more. I cut off the tip of my finger a couple summers back trying to make dinner. My idea of high cuisine is eating my freeze dried camp meals I keep in stored in the garage and occassionally a bowl of soup. I live on sandwiches. Mistress has been kind to my 'disability' and I was recently promoted back into the kitchen for eggs and hash brown duty.

But tonight I thought what the heck, lets throw caution in the wind. I will make pasta.

Somehow...someway...I don't know how, I completely destroyed the plumbing under the sink and cruddy water and sink garbage exploded all over Mistress and I as we were investigating the clog. After the laughing at the movie-ness of it all, Mistress called the home warranty company to send out a plumber tomorrow.

I have once again been banned from the kitchen. I can go as far into it as the dog. At least I can reach the pantry. There's protein cookies in there!

10 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

You know, Mountain House now has what they call their "Mountain Oven." Heat your freeze-dried Mountain House foods without even having to boil water!

Then again, there's always Clif Bars. Have you tried the Blueberry Crisp flavor? Good stuff.

Happy V-Day to you. It sounds like Mistress really loves you!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

You really are talented! Thanks for the laugh this evening.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

Ummm, if I may be so bold (lower case "b"), how exactly did "cook linguine" lead to plumbing under the sink?

You DID use a collander to strain that pasta, right?

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger momo said...

are you sure you didn't do that on PURPOSE? :-)

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Comm's said...

I appreciate all the inflection I am reading here. I appreciate the humor.

But I must defend myself in all seriousness, perhaps as an object lesson for people like me. I never intentionally try to sabotage my cooking.

I do not know how to cook. I never have. I can boil water and heat up the contents of a can but as far as preparing and combining of ingredients, adding seasoning and paying attention to heating, I have yet to establish even a survivalable level for myself.

Mistress is in fact a tremendous and intuitive cook and baker. She enjoys it.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Did you have the home warranty when you burned down the two kitchens, or is that why you got it?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

Mrs. Bigun and I recently went to "Dinner-Done" where they lay out all the ingredients and you prep the food, put them in serving-size containers and then freeze them. Best thing since sliced bread - turn on the oven and put the container in, set the timer and pull it out when the alarm goes off. Bamb - gourmet meal. These are franchises all over the country - worth the cost - actually cheaper than going to the grocery store. We got with 3 other couples and made a night of it - wine and cheese and crackers - it was fun...

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Kewl Nitrox said...

Don't let these guys and gals give you flak. At least you tried! :) I have not made a meal myself in a LONG LONG time...

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Comm's there are many worse places to be banned from than the kitchen! Seriously, though, it's great that your sense of humour wins out. Mistresses, too.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I have to just say, why cook when there are trained professionals on every corner who LIKE to do it? Even the grocery store has a ton of "bring home and reheat" meals. I applaud your efforts - seriously! But cooking just seems like a waste of time to me. I'd rather go for a bike ride or, even better... watch a little tv... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home