Monday, June 25, 2007

Its down the road a ways but I see it

I did a triathlon yesterday. No not Roth 70.3, or Zurich or CdA. I did a sprint underground. About fifteen of us did some distance at all three events on a course that was hot and hilly. It wasn't so much about the clock as having the ability to do all three, with someone watching your transition gear so you practice that as well and your gear is safe while your out.

I won't bore you with how I did not feel right in any of the events and I was so happy to be done but I will say that it has made me very conscious of the fact that I have been dawdling around with my off-season for six weeks now and I look very much forward to getting back to a program of base training.

I think when my vacation starts next week and before I go to Disneyland on the 10th, I can put myself through a boot camp for a few days and start really focusing on my bike and running again.

Why not today? Why not right now? Good questions. My reason is that I need to put a date down the road for when I start training again. I sense this training will carry me through the next year of triathlons and don't want to rush it. I still need another week of rehab on my shoulder. Its beginning to nag me that just sleeping on it would cause it to be so painful a full week later. I still need to mentally adjust to the longer training hours and the upgraded nutrition and smaller portions. A week of not necessarily binging on poor food choices but just savoring some foods that will be extracted once serious training begins anew.

I suppose this is the point in my training where I have decided that a plan is better than what I have been doing with my off season. It was not a failure or something I regret. I have enjoyed the side training I have done and other than this injury to my shoulder have been training several hours every week, just really getting on the bike or putting in long runs. In the end, I am glad I have taken time away from formal triathlon practices and specifically ironman training. I have really needed this break from structure but with all other things in my life, I need structure to survive.

July 4, 2007. Back to base.

6 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Tri-Angle said...

I'm with ya Comm. Doing that yesterday opened my eyes to the focus that there needs to be. Especially the OW swimming. I had a real panicy moment out there by the bridge. My rest the night before was seriously lacking though. I'm thinking about ear plugs too. My equalalibrium (sic) was way off. I was happy on the bike, thanks to Usery, and I still am just a slow fat runner....and have confirmed it in spades while chasing my shadow.
A.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

Hey, YOU NEEDED THIS BREAK! Relish it - it was the right thing to do, and you will come back soooo much stronger mentally and physically - don't cheat your off season - of course you know all this...have a big chili dog or something else fattening and think of the Bigun!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Off season has it's place.

Have fun, dawdle a bit more, enjoy everything MouseWorld has to offer ... then enjoy getting back to base training!

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Cliff said...

The best structure is one that you can sustain on a month to month and year to year basis.

That's great htat u did a sprint tri today..underground or not..must be fun.

There is nothing like a swim, then a bike ride and a run in the end.

I pray that your shoulder do get better.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Andra Sue said...

I'm with you, too. I can't hang without a plan. That being said, it seems like the plan only proves out to be a good thing when preceded by some period of slacking. At least for me. :)

Make sure you eat one of those Mickey-head ice cream bars at Disney...yummmmmm...

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

Your plan will feel so much better now. And then you can say - "I love it when a plan comes together". See - you needed the break to put you in that position!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home