Thursday, January 08, 2009

First ride

I recognize that in my past I did not need prodding. I did not ask, "How high?" when told to jump, I jumped as high as I possibly could. I have never been told, "You're slacking today." One of the reasons I have eschewed personal coaching is the firm belief that no one is going to kick my ass more so than me. Now don't get me wrong, I certainly need education and accountability and for that a mentor or coach is a terrific asset.

I finally rode my bike on Thursday. It was perfect weather and clear roads. Ah, heaven. I rode 12 miles with my two best friends who happen to be my training partners. They started a plan for IM CdA, so I am coming in a bit lame and late. Who cares though! I can ride and that is great enough.

I only rode for an hour. The distance, 12 miles. Well obviously I went faster than 12 mph but had some stop lights and had some slow speed chats and adjustments.I could have gone longer or farther but one hour is good enough. I am learning....limits. I kept my cadence over 85 and my HR below 150 bpm.

I actually did not ride much in the aero bars. Two reasons. First, it increased my HR about 3 bpm. Second, I did not feel worthy. To me aero is the 'business' position of my bike. When I get there, I mean to put the hurt on.

But no, today was not about business or power or watts. Today was about the joy of doing something I love, riding my kick ass carbon fiber wet dream Valdora tri bike with my pals.

There's treasure everywhere.


4 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy for you that you got to get out there and ride. Sounds like it was a good time. I will continue to pray for your recovery.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Fumo Santo said...

Sounds like a great time Comm.
During the fall I stripped my aero bars from the bike and tweaked it for more recreational riding with Jackie. I do still have my IM tag on my neck as a reminder, but without a specific training plan I too was able to find some lost joy in biking again.
Keep it up man, it sounds like your're thrilled.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

atta boy.

btw... totally jealous that you got to ride. i'm stuck in the hell that is spin class until prolly march or april. unless we take a trip to st. george with the bikes. which is sounding REALLY good right. about. now.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Dave M said...

Good job, Comm's. Please take it easy and enjoy the ride! Looking forward to more posts like this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home