Friday, May 11, 2007

There's a Zone 4? What!!! A Zone 5 too!

This whole week has been training at way over my comfort zone. While the hours have been short compared to IM training, my body is already neuro-muscularly hammered. I had no idea my heart rate could go over 170 and I wouldn't spontaneously combust.

Thursday was to be a run and then swim. I got to the lake first and tackled a difficult 5.5 mile run with a steep 1 mile hill before the turnaround. I thought I would bust out a fast 1st mile to tax myself and then struggle through the hill for additional stress. Thats when I realized that I had not sufficiently recovered from a 5 mile track workout including 2 miles of bleachers that I did Tuesday, (3 minutes per mile faster than IM pace) after a 1 mile swim in the endless pool at 1:40/100 (again much faster than my IM pace). When I finished run Thursday I could not manage the swim. I was too exhausted, so I soaked my legs while Jeff swam in preparation for Escape for Alcatraz in three weeks.

Jeff reminded me that Ironman was only three weeks ago, that my body went through a very severe dehydration and I just balls'd out a hard International distance race the other day. Last night I wrote my goals for Friday on the bathroom mirror in bold, "Freaking don't workout today". I woke up this morning and tried to figure how to fit in a bike ride. This was before I actually got out of bed. Once I got up my body said, "HELLO" and the mirror said what it said.

Life in the Zone 5. Gotta love it.

8 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

I find my life balanced between going to hard and going to easy. I spend quite a bit of time training others who are less experienced or considerably younger (like junior high/high school). When I'm with them, I have to go easy, because the goal is to keep them training.

So, much of the time when I'm on my own I find myself hammering away too hard. That's why I have gone back to the heart rate monitor. It keeps me in check.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Definitely love it.

In it's time and place.

But we've got to be careful piling too much of it on too quick. Otherwise it's nothing but Zone -1 for a long time.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Brent Buckner said...

Fun times!

I'm just starting LT work - first time in 8 months for running, longer for cycling. Nice change.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

That's funny. Next time mistress says, "You never listen to me" you can reply, "That's okay, honey - I never listen to myself, either."

Good thing about that mirror!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger S. Baboo said...

Oh for those lazy days of IM training...I think we must have the same sadist, er, I mean coach.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Bigun said...

love those freaking days off!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger tri-mama said...

Good to know when to call it a day. have a great weekend

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I never could figure out why anybody would want to go into those zones on purpose... you are brave!
Missed you at Wildflower - take care, friend!
Jenny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home