Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Doc with the walk

I went to Urgent Care last yesterday for my back. I couldn't get into my primary and just needed something to help me comfortable when I slept. Urgent Care is actually a business here in the Valley of the Sun and is a for-profit version of the emergency room with non-life threatening injuries and illnesses. It does in a pinch.

The doctor that I saw was not only an Ironman finisher but a highly accomplished triathlete and former president of the Phoenix Tri Club. We talked a bit, he understood my training, my down time condition, my desires and goals.

My back is still killing me this morning though I was able to sleep through the night. I am hoping to get into my rehab clinic today and then again tomorrow evening. I really don't think I have it in me to workout today, crap I could barely tie my shoes this morning. I am still doing my swim session tomorrow however.

This training program for IMAZ has not gone anything like I expected.

11 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

Did he recommend a good massage therapist or yoga instructor (to loosen you up?) Is it musculature in nature or a disc thing? Will make a big difference with what you can/are allowed to do and your recup time! Hope you get this thing fixed SOON!!! Best of luck!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Spokane Al said...

You are very lucky to have found a doctor who understands you and your triathlon goals.

Here's hoping you are fixed and back on the road to IM AZ soon!

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger :) said...

Get better, you need to be healthy!!!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger The Big Cheese said...

About 5 years about I had some back problems. For 3 months I wobbled around in constant pain. Finally, thru drugs, stretching, and a Chiropractor (usually not a fan, but worked this time) it finally came around. I know what you are going through. Hope you feel better.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Glen said...

Dam dude, your body goes through some crap. I'm knocking on wood I dont have any of your injurys in the next 3 months. You will be ready for AZIM, you have the mind for it. And thanks for the call last night might look into it all.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I wonder if kinesio taping would help you like it did me. Did the Ironman Doc have any specific recommendations for you?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

All I can say is that I have an even greater respect for you after viewing attack of the brownie. Who cares about your back when you can do amazing feats such as that!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

I hope your back feels better soon. :(

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i missed it... how did you hurt your back. make sure you listen to your body. don't overdo it and end up like the greyhound.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh... and have you considered an enema?

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger greyhound said...

What Nytro said. If it is a slipped or herniated disk, no amount of adjustment will help. Most will fix themselves in a couple of weeks, unless (like some idiot, middle aged, scrawny, type A training zealot from South Texas who shall remain nameless) you crunch that poor puppy and squish all the juice out.

Traction, anti-gravity, ice, NSAIDs and EZ does it. If not, prepare for hell. I am just now having long intervals without pain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home